Happy first day in Australia! We received a rainy welcome but it’s perfectly okay because, like I said, we’re in Austrlia!
It is currently our day 2 here but it’s 5am. I woke up around 4:30 this morning because Caleb and I couldn’t quite make it past 8pm yesterday…jetlag is a fierce force.
We were greeted at the airport by a pastor we got connected with ahead of time. Emman, Jade and their two children, Caleb and Savanah Zoe have seriously been angels to us since we got here. Emman took Caleb and me all around town, we got to see Caleb’s school, take care of bank accounts, and he also took us by some of the properties we know we are interested in renting. He was so helpful and it definitely made me feel good checking some things off my list on day one!
I’ve already experienced several things that made me say, “Oh!” Examples:
- Being a front seat passenger on the opposite side of the car
- Driving on the opposite side of the road
- Calling the letter “z” Zed
- Travelators (it’s a moving ramp like an escalator)
- Lycees- a very small prickly fruit that has to be peeled to reveal something that feels like a wet grape, tastes like a pear and pineapple mixed together, and has a pit like a peach.
- Driving on the other side means walking on the other side in crowded public places too (oops). Just go with the grain, people.
We’re going to take the rest of this week to set up housing inspections, new phone plans, and also relax. I’m excited to explore some more of this city together before Caleb starts school in February. Also, make sure to follow me on Instagram for daily photos. Cheers!